Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ritter Sport-- White Chocolate with Whole Hazelnuts

It only makes sense to start with what I consider to be one of the best white chocolate bars on the market: Ritter Sport White Chocolate with Whole Hazelnuts. I have to warn you: this bar is pretty difficult to find in the United States. Although Target and other American stores carry several varieties of Ritter Sport, this bar is usually not found in chain stores. I purchased my chocolate bar from a local ethnic store that imports food from Europe.

On to the good stuff: there are several characteristics of this chocolate bar that distinguish it from others. First, and most importantly in my opinion, is the actual white chocolate base. Fillings and toppings aside, a good chocolate bar is designated as such based on the quality of the chocolate. This Ritter Sport bar is miles away from the waxy, tasteless white chocolate bars that one frequently comes across. The chocolate gives a light vanilla scent and is flavorful and creamy. It's not overwhelmingly sweet and reaches its true creamy potential once placed on the tongue and allowed to melt just a bit.

The hazelnuts found throughout the Ritter Sport bar do full justice to the term "whole hazelnuts" . They are indeed whole, abundant, and fresh. Upon consuming the chocolate bar, I was surprised to find it also loaded with crisped rice. I would have realized this had I inspected the picture on the packaging more closely.  Unfortunately, I was far too much in a rush to rip off the packaging and try the bar.

Overall, the combination of a good quality white chocolate base with fresh, whole hazelnuts and crisped rice results in a white chocolate bar that stands apart. This is one of the best white chocolate bars I have tasted... and I have had my share.

Price: $2.99
Overall Score: A
Comments: Excellent white chocolate base, loaded with fresh hazelnuts, plenty of pieces to share.   

No comments:

Post a Comment